Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Aaaaaaand It's Done

7:40AM: Well, there we go. 25 minutes later and I'm back home again, blogging and listening to Nelson's first album, After the Rain, in mock celebration. Tons of people were there already - the gymnasium (or whatever it was, uh, I forgot to check - I think it was a school?) was full of booths and plenty of people lining up. I was in district 17, though, apparently unpopulous, and was allowed to basically walk straight up, present my documentation and vote the hell out of myself. I was talking to Alex about this yesterday, but it is damn nerve-wracking to vote, even if the whole system is relatively straightforward. I doublechecked everything before finally pulling that giant red lever on my straight Democratic ticket. It's actually a totally cool machine - it obviously has been used since the fifties sometimes, all gunmetal and public-school desk looking, and some of the levers I was switching down had to be really jammed to work. In addition, from a graphic design perspective, even the candidates' names were written in this awesome font that screamed "I'm an official government document from the fifties." I'm going to guess that it's the same printer that's been doing the ballot list for however many years. Fucking A. It just looked so classic and official.

Couldn't quite gauge the mood of the people there - the election workers seemed to be in a good mood, but nobody else it looked like shared my ebullient glee at participating this time around. Though this is probably reasonable - nobody's really laughing about this election or claiming it "doesn't matter." But come on, people, you're in Blue New York. We're going to be doing the right thing, we're gonna have done our part. Ah, well. Okay, time to get showered and ready to go.

After the rain washes away the tears, all the pain
Only after the rain, you'll live again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home