Tuesday, November 02, 2004

What is Going On at Cnn.com?

Okay, so earlier, I posted about Cnn.com's awesome looking Election Page. And all day, without thinking too much of it, I've been working off of their poll result clock.

The first polls get out at 7pm, EST.

Currently, their countdown clock is at less than 30 minutes left.

Further investigation shows that the clock works off of your computer's clock. But I have the right time here. AND Cnn.com is showing the right time. So if they're not counting down to the closing of the first polls, what ARE they counting down to?

First thought? At 4:00pm, Paul Begala is going to eat Tucker Carlson on live television.

Second thought? At 4:00pm, Kathy will be given a pie. On live television.

More likely thought: Their clock is coded wrong.

However, I bet that by 4:00pm, they'll start mentioning VERY preliminary exit polls from the 7pm closing states, especially any ones they're very sure of. Nobody wants to make a mistake, but let's look at the states closing at 7pm. I mean, the polls closing at 7pm. The whole state isn't closing. Hopefully.

Georgia: Bush, 15 EV
Indiana: Bush, 11 EV (There's almost no doubt about this)
Kentucky: Bush, 8 EV
South Carolina: Bush, 8 EV (also almost no doubt)
Virginia: Bush, 13 EV (so much no doubt it's unbelievable)
Vermont: Kerry, 3 EV (solid as a civil union)

So here's the thing. These are, across the board, pretty easy to predict. Granted, there may be tremendous surprises and upsets, but don't be scared if, for the first few hours, it looks like Bush is winning this thing easily. We still have all night to go. And the day after that. And weeks, and weeks, and weeks...

alex

UPDATE: Okay, I wrote too soon. Given history, and current polling, I do feel confident with my summation above. BUT, Slate puts Indiana on the razors edge, calling it for Kerry. We shall see.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elephant Larry said...

Alex, I don't know what's wrong with *your* browser, but my cnn.com page has the polls closing in 3 hours and 13 minutes...which means at 7PM exactly. I don't know if they fixed it in between your brash posting and now, but at least on my end, their countdown makes sense...

stefan

November 2, 2004 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Elephant Larry said...

I stand by my irrational statements.

-alex

November 2, 2004 at 3:51 PM  
Blogger Scott K said...

Indiana possibly going for Kerry?

I can only hope.

November 2, 2004 at 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home